FAQs - General Law

Our opening times and locations can be found on Our Locations page.

You should check your email Spam folder as our information email, whuich was sent from Suncoast Community Legal Service Inc. <no-reply@suncoastcommunitylegal.org>, may have ended up in there, you can also complete the General Law Information Toolkit again here and make sure that you have entered the correct email address.

We do not write Wills nor Enduring Power of Attorneys (EPAs) but you can go to the the Public Trustee of Queensland who provides a free will-making service to all Queenslanders. The Public Trustee EPA information can be found here.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman can investigate complaints about actions and decisions  of Australian Government agencies to see if they are wrong, unjust, unlawful, discriminatory or just plain unfair. The types of complaints that can be investigated include problems with Centrelink and Veterans’ Affairs payments and concessions, child support and immigration. The Ombudsman can also investigate complaints about contractors providing goods and services to the public under a contract with an Australian Government agency, including those associated with immigration detention centres and Job Active providers.

The Queensland Ombudsman investigates complaints about the actions and decisions of state (QLD) government departments and agencies (including state schools and TAFE), local councils and public universities.  The complaints assessment and investigation service is free and independent.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority deals with complaints related to banking, finance, insurance or superannuation.

The Tax Practitioners Board handles complaints related to tax practitioners. You can find more details here.

Yes, the Qld Government has put together guidelines which include steps to resolve these types of disputes. The steps in summary are:

Step 1 – Know the rules
Step 2 – Talk to your neighbour
Step 3 – Get it in writing
Step 4 – Seek legal advice
Step 5 – Go to mediation
Step 6 – Resolving a dispute through QCAT



The Office of Fair Trading handles complaints regarding a large range of businesses and traders, including real estate agents or agencies. The current form to use can be found here.

The fees are outlines on the QCAT website and can be found here..

The Office of the Commissioner for Body Corporate and Community Management (BCCM) provides a range of information and services to those who live, invest or work in community titles schemes (e.g. body corporate administered lots/units) in Queensland.

You can contact the Australian Government Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission and discuss or lodge your complaint. You can also call them on 1800 951 822.

Yes, your wishes as stated in an Advance Health Directive are not final; you can change them at any time while you remain mentally capable of doing so. It is wise to review your directive every two years or if your health changes significantly. If you do want to make changes to your directive, you should destroy the current one and make a new one. You may also totally revoke your directive at any time. This must be done in writing, but no specific form is required and the person witnessing your signature does not need to be a justice of the peace, commissioner for declarations, lawyer or notary public.

Source: Queensland Government Advance Health Directive