Volunteer Lawyer Application
Volunteer lawyers must:
- be able to work without supervision (have at least 6 months practical experience as a lawyer)
- hold a valid practising certificate (including a volunteers practising certificate) issued by the Queensland Law Society or an interstate Law Society
- have a willingness to assist disadvantaged clients to gain access to the legal profession
- show a desire to provide a service to the community
- have a commitment to working as a team with other volunteers on the roster
- be an active listener and to show empathy towards clients
- be able to communicate clearly and sensitively with clients
- maintain confidentiality at all times
- be computer literate
- on request, provide 2 referees
Pursuant to the Legal Profession Act 2007 (Qld) the SCLS must ensure that conflicts of interest do not occur in the course of providing advice and/or casework assistance. Where potential conflicts of interest can arise:
- Advising/acting for both parties in the one matter;
- Advising/acting against someone who is a present or past client;
- Advising/acting for someone the Service has given advice/acted against in the past;
- Advising/acting in a matter where a current or previous Centre worker or volunteer is the other party;
- Advising in a matter through a volunteer lawyer who is acting for or has previously advised or acted for the other party;
- Advising/acting in a matter where a Centre worker or volunteer has acted against the client in a previous job.
The potential conflicts in numbers 1-4 are identified by consultation of SCLS records. Identification of those at number 5 and 6 rely on workers and volunteers self-reporting, and the liability for acting in a conflict situation rests upon them.
Volunteer Agreement Declaration
- I understand that ALL information divulged by the client at the Service is confidential
- I understand not to reveal any information about any client except as required by the Service
- I will alert the session Business Services Manager/Managing Solicitor to any problems I encounter in my dealing with any clients
- I will advise the Business Services Manager at the earliest possible time if I am unable to fulfil my obligations at any rostered advise sessions and I will attempt to arrange a replacement for the roster
- I have no record of criminal convictions recorded against my name
- I grant and convey to SCLS all right, title and interests in any and all photographic, images, media or audio recordings of me or my likeness or voice made by SCLS in connection with my providing volunteer services to SCLS.
- I am able to use my own device (telephone & notebook computer) if required at the outreach sites
All membership applications are presented to the Management Committee for consideration.